The high school is selling carnations for S.A.D.
How nice for those high school adolescents, bursting at the seams with raging hormones, to be able to send their boy/girlfriend, crush, best friend a symbol of their love and affection on S.A.D.
And cue the 8th grade flashback.
Picture it: It's Valentine's Day 1996. Yours truly, here, donning a hip, turquoise silk shirt and Z Cavaricci jeans. Now, the school where I spent my adolescent years thought it was wise to place naive, influential junior high tweens in the same building as the high school kids. And you wonder why I'm so incredibly worldly in my knowledge of "things that shall not be named." Actually, I'm not that knowledgeable. I was one of the naive ones. And, I'm an oldest child, so I had no one to learn from. I was essentially a deer among hunters. But I digress.
Every year on S.A.D., the custodian would set up tables in the entryway so the plethora of delivered flowers and balloons and stuffed, red, teddy bears would have somewhere to be displayed while all the Singletons sulked past on their way to their next class. And then, the high school student council had the genius idea to sell carnations on top of that. Multi-colored carnations. Each color stood for a different "affection".
Yellow = friendship
Red = love/romance
Pink = I like you
Purple = I have a crush on you
And there were more, but they lost me at purple.
For $1, ONLY $1, (it would be foolish NOT to invest in such a display of one's affection), you could have a carnation delivered to anyone in the school. Emphasis on ANYONE. Like, even a senior boy. And you can choose to send it anonymously. Oh boy. Do you see where this is going? Please stop me. I beg you. I can't relive it.
But I will. Anything for a blog entry.
I gave into the pressure. Deer among hunters; need I say it again? My minion friends convinced me to send two carnations, not one...TWO carnations to Sexy Senior Boy. I can still hear their evil voices, "You can stay anonymous! He'll never know they're from you! Do it! Do it! DO IT!!!!!"
So I did it. And then those wenches on student council decided that it was also going to be "Opposite Day" and that "anonymous" meant "TELL THE SEXY SENIOR BOY THAT IT WAS POOR, PATHETIC EMILY KOOISTRA WHO SENT HIM TWO PURPLE CARNATIONS"
And then I died.
And I had to sit through an entire all-school assembly with Sexy Senior Boy sitting kiddy-corner right across the aisle from me. And he had the nerve to turn around and look at me.
And then I died again.
I haven't spoken to a boy since.
The end.
O Emily! hahahahahah...... My good laugh for the night. Thank you once again. :)
ReplyDeleteOh honey, that explains so about your twisted, sad view of Valentine's Day. Remember it is about the LoVe...
ReplyDeleteI love ya, Em!
oh, you are not alone....
ReplyDeleteO - I remember this! THE DRAMA!! Weeping and knashing of teeth over the embarassment. Glad to see that you are finding humor in the story after all this time! :-)
ReplyDeleteMom