Monday, April 18, 2011

Middle East Memoirs: Day 3

Date: Saturday, April 2
Location: Sinai Peninsula followed by Mt. Sinai
Temperature: Mildly Hot
Excitement Level: *****, then ***, then back up to *****
Disclaimers: After a 6.5 hour hike up a sacred Biblical mountain, one, even one who suffers from mild OCD, does not have the slightest care what one's bed linens are made of. Or smell like. For details, please continue reading.

It's day 3! It's the day I've been looking forward to with equal amounts of dread. After my near Jesus sighting in Valley of the Kings yesterday, I was SLIGHTLY on edge about my impending performance ascending Mt. Sinai. Yes. THE Mt. Sinai. As in, Moses and the 10 Commandments, Mt. Sinai. Our itinerary had informed us of aforementioned ascension, followed by a much needed night of rest ON the summit. So, at the beginning of the day, I made sure I had packed my Under Armour and an extra pair of undergarments for the next morning. We were not required to pack any bedding. This was good news, as I quickly came to the ignorant conclusion that this must mean there's a Hilton on the summit of Mt. Sinai. It made total and complete sense to me.

Our morning began with an off-roading experience like no other through the Sinai wilderness. We all piled off the bus and were introduced to some Egyptian Bedouins. Bedouins are desert dwellers, usually living in tribes. Each tribe is ruled by a Sheikh (pronounced "shake") or "elder". Most tourists would never come into contact with bedouins, however, we were not tourists. We were investments. And investments have hook ups, baby. The Sheikh's son, gathered his peeps and arranged a nice, smooth, joyride through the desert, so following our introductions, we were promptly ushered in groups of 4-5 into white, 1984 Toyota Land Cruisers. And off we went! After spending approximately 25 minutes fearing for my life, as well as facing a major fear of losing my breakfast all over poor Jeff sitting across from me, we arrived at our destination. And who should meet us there, but these guys:

Lord have mercy. Somebody needs an orthodontist stat!

The gentleman in the middle wearing the corduroy winter parka in 85 degree weather is the Sheikh's son.

Camels!

Hurry! Take a picture of me by a camel! Faster! Before they all leave!!!

But they just kept comin'...

And the next thing I knew, I was hoisted up on a camel and sent on my way through the Sinai wilderness. This picture was taken from atop my camel. Pretty good, considering most pictures that I attempted to take ended up being of the sky, the ground, or the camel's rump in front of me. Camels are NOT a smooth ride.

Twenty minutes later, I got the hang of not hanging on for dear life and after my knuckles returned to their normal shade of semi-tan, I was able to snap a few more pictures. After all, we were probably nearing the end of our camel jaunt.


So not the case. We kept riding...

and riding...

and riding...


There were plenty of sights along the way.




Then we stopped at a watering hole. Apparently, we were riding so long even the camels got thirsty. Look at Iz there on the left. So happy. I think his beloved wife, Julie, will frame this picture. A rare smile from Mr. Iz.



For 3 hours I kept thinking, "Oh, I'm sure it's just over the next ridge." And by the third hour, my hips were also starting to think, "It's gotta be right over the next ridge! Please be over the next ridge!" Now, I don't want you to think that I'm complaining, because I am not. Talk about an experience! Most people will never be given the opportunity to ride a camel. Much less ride a camel through the Sinai wilderness. The picture above? We came all the way through the valley between those two mountains. It was beautiful! But, my hips were sore. That's all. And what better way to nurse sore hips, than to begin a 6 1/2 hike up Mount Sinai?! Yay!!

Two of my favorite people. Jeff, on the left, was a saint. He carried my backpack, heavy with Under Armour and toilet paper, all the way up Mt. Sinai. He earned that sweat on his brow. And on the right? Well, that's my "dad". Everyone on the trip was assigned a "family". After each restroom break, meal, hike, camel ride, dip in a body of water, we would do a family check. It was a fun way to make sure we had everybody. Though it would have been worth it to see what would happen if an entire family decided to disappear together. Then there would be no one to account for their absence and the bus would be half way to the next hike before anyone would realize we were missing the Adam's family. Seriously. Hilarious. But I digress. Roger was my "dad" and he was absolutely hilarious. Though I told him numerous times that if he would have actually been my real father that his hilarity would have in fact been incredibly embarrassing. "Seriously, Dad. Stop. You're embarrassing me." But he wasn't my father, so I could laugh at everything he said and did. For example, as we were walking through the ruins of Bethsaida, he says, "This place rocks." Yes. Because there are rocks EVERYWHERE. I think my father's brightest shining moment came at the airport in Amman as we were checking in for our flight to Chicago. I sassed him about something, and he in turn, preceded to show me his left bicep and threaten his beloved daughter with empty threats. I asked, "Are you even flexing?" And he said, "I'M SHOWING YOU MY GUN!" I froze in horror. The woman behind the ticket counter froze in horror. My mother froze in horror. Then, Dad realized what he said and immediately corrected himself by saying "I'm showing you my ARM." It was about this time that my mom, Cheryl, just taped his mouth shut. Two wonderful people whom I will cherish forever.

And sadly, that is the only picture that I have of the hike UP the mountain. It took approximately 6 1/2 hours, with the last 1 1/2 hours in the dark. Now, I think it goes without saying that there are no illuminating lights along the path, therefore, it was flashlight time. And all flashlights were pointed at the feet of the person in front of them. So, by the time we got to the top, we had no idea just how far we had come. We would need to wait until morning to see the fruits of our labor. That was OK though, because we were all exhausted by the time we reached the base of the summit. And waiting for us at the top was hot tea...


Hot food made over the fire by bedouins...



Sleeping bags and blankets to keep us warm...


And an incredible feeling of accomplishment. Mixed with an incredible desire to soak one's feet in epson salt. But that would have to wait. Because first, we would all need to curl up in Eau de Camel blankets and try to get a good night's sleep before beginning the trek back down the mountain in the morning.


Wow. I look good. Please, boys, don't all try calling me at once.

Tomorrow, we'll be up at 5:00 to watch the sun come up over the mountains. Then, some of us, who shall remain nameless, will go back to sleep until it's time to hike up to the peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment